Friday, October 9, 2009

Cheating...just a little

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I have had some successes with my first-time square foot gardening effort this year (carrots! beans! broccoli! tomatoes!). While I am very satisfied with this production, it certainly wasn't the bumper crop I envisioned last winter when I embarked on this vegetable gardening adventure. Ah the naivete! Now I know what Mel Bartholomew was talking about when he warned- start small!

Feeding a family of four solely from vegetables produced in my garden- not exactly a realistic expectation, I admit- at least not for the first year or so. At this time I feel I must disclose that I have been 'cheating' somewhat on my kitchen garden (and original vision) and supplementing my harvest with regular saturday trips to the Halifax Farmers Market. It's all good though. I am still buying local organic food, supporting our local farmers, and (hopefully) helping to reduce my carbon footprint in the process.

Somehow I can't help but think it would have been a lot cheaper not have a vegetable garden at all, but to continue to frequent the Farmers Market (or register for a weekly food basket from Home Grown Organic Foods). Nah, just kidding...it may have been cheaper, given all my initial 'capital' costs, but not nearly as interesting or fun. I suspect that in the future, I will continue to expand my personal harvest, as well as purchase local vegetables as a complement to my garden. I'm totally stoked for 2010!

Moving on, as I wait for the official end to the growing season and try to figure out how to prepare my garden beds for winter, let me share with you an interesting article I stumbled across today on cbc.ca. It would seem that like me, this first time square foot gardener from calgary has also had mixed results this year, supplementing a modest harvest with produce from a local farmers market. Like me, she is also a fan of the square foot gardening method.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/10/07/f-square-foot-garden-harvest.html

Be sure to read all the interesting comments following the article, like this one:

"Square foot gardening will feed the masses when expensive oil cripples conventional farming".

No comments: