Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Weekend Construction

The "labour" (ie hubby) has been hard at work building both a trellis for the peas and a frame for the box with the broccoli to use as a 'row cover'.

The pea trellis was mostly made out of materials we already had on hand. I decided to paint it black to add a little pizzaz to the back yard. It's not a permanet solution, but the best I could come up in a hurry, that was cheap to make, functional and looked half decent. I found a package of plastic netting buried deep within my shed which i attached to the trellis for the peas to climb. I'm hoping the peas will cover the trellis, making a little more pleasing to the eye.



The crop cover was made from instructions I found on vegetablegardener.com:
http://www.vegetablegardener.com/item/7193/raised-bed-pest-cover
 
It's easy to remove, and the idea is to be able to use it year to year, moving it as i rotate crops from box to box.  I'm anticipating changing the cover material I stapled to the frame.  It was made out of left over crop cover fabric purchased from Lee Valley Tools last year.  It was quite thin and my first attempt had several puncture holes.  I double-layered it, so i'm going to monitor in the next week for hardiness and to make sure enough sunlight and air is getting in and out.  If it doesn't work, I will try to find the material suggested in the vegetablegardener.com link.
 

No comments: