Friday, May 7, 2010

Under Construction

In keeping with the ‘make-over’ theme for 2010, I am currently in a construction phase in the garden. While I’m not quite ready to give you the ‘big reveal’, I have managed to move the raised beds to a better, (hopefully) sunnier location.

I have been at it now since the beginning of April, and finally have all the boxes filled and ready to go. Good thing too! According to Environment Canada, the last average frost date for Halifax was May 6. When I plug this date into the lazy seed starting chart at yougrowgirl.com, there are a lot of early crops that need to go in the ground weeks ahead of the frost date. I have been working around this, planting as I finish each box. As of this week, I’ve got broccoli, swiss chard, spinach, dill, bunching onion, garlic chives, radishes, cilantro and parsley in the ground. I also have peas growing in the half-barrel and 2 buckets, which I planted earlier in April.

This weekend I need to construct some sort of trellis for the peas. I ordered peas from Annapolis Seeds this year, and according to the packet info, these things can grow up to 6 feet tall! They are at the point where they need something to climb. I’m also going to try to create some sort of ‘crop cover’ for the box with the broccoli. If you’ll recall last year, I was a little grossed out by the cabbage worms. A crop cover is going to me my #1 defense this year against these creepy crawlies.

Here’s hoping the weather will co-operate!

No comments: