Saturday, June 5, 2010

Eat your Veggies

The spinach looked ready to eat today, so for my first harvest of 2010, I robbed a few leaves along with some swiss chard, and whipped up a green smoothie. Yum! 


 I've been drinking green smoothies after stumbling across the concept on a healthy recipe site a year or so ago (sorry- can't remember where I found it, but if you do a search for green smoothie or green monster, you'll find all kinds of references- try  http://greenmonstermovement.com/  for lots of recipes).

While the combination of spinach and smoothie together may sound strange to some, it really is tasty!  In fact, properly blended, you barely taste the spinach at all!. I try to drink one of these as much as I can, and it is one of my favorite quick afternoon snacks. It's also very filling as a liquid lunch- the good kind!

It is really easy to whip up and is a easy way to get more vegge into my diet. I find when i drink these regularly, it give me lots of energy and makes my skin glow. The ingredients combinations are endless and can depend on what I have on hand, but typically I will include:

1 frozen ripe banana
2-3 handfuls of spinach (swiss chard works too, I've discovered!)
1-2 globs of non-fat plain yogurt
1-2 tsp chocolate or vanilla protein powder (depending on the mood).
cover with either no sugar soy or almond milk (enough to make a drinkable liquid)

*I use milk too in a pinch but find milk gets too foamy and thick to drink

Other healthy additions I add:

1 tbsp flax oil or ground flax
1-2 tbsp oats or ground psyllium husks

I whip it up in my food processor trying to blend as much as possible, but my food processor is ancient and sometimes i get the odd chunk or two. I don't mind, though. It still tastes great.


No comments: