Sunday, July 25, 2010

Weekend Work

Phew! It's nice to finally have the main 'construction' phase done for the year.  I can finally focus on some of the garden chores I have been neglecting the past few weeks.

We had a nice couple of sunny days and the garden is responding well.  Just for fun, I had a look back at my pictures from this time last year in the July '09 archives.  What a difference!  Things were so sparse compared to now. 

This morning I did a lot of garden chores.  I weeded (very little weeding so far required in my raised beds), mulched, fertilized, and seeded fall crops like peas, carrots, swiss chard, beets, etc.  I didn't think ahead last year for a lasting crop, so hopefully my efforts today will pay off.

I made a make-shift support for the grow bag beans:



I dug up one of the broccoli plants that really didn't produce much.  I'm seriously wondering if it is worth it growing broccoli next year. It seems to take up a lot of space, and really so far I've managed just one meal per plant.  I still have one left.  It is a calabrese-type broccoli and the seed packet info promises continued harvest of side shoots.  I'll keep monitoring and decide next year if it is worth it. 

No comments: