Thursday, October 7, 2010

Before and After

 In case I left you hanging after my last post, I thought I'd give you a before and after of the kitchen garden: pre and post hurricane. 

When I last left things, it was the night before Hurricane Earle was supposed to hit Nova Scotia.  At that point they were reporting landfall from Yarmouth to Digby areas, and Halifax wasn't expected to get the worst of the storm.  I went to bed and when I woke up, the hurricane had shifted, putting Halifax in the direct path.  I was at work for most of the day, but I'm told it wasn't too crazy. Depending on what weather reports you listened too, it was either a category 1 hurricane when it hit, or a tropical storm.

The best news is that the garden survived!  Not a lot of damage at all.  The zucchini plant bent over in half, but all in all, it came through the storm in tact.  My neighbourhood actually seemed to escape a lot of damage...no downed branches or much debris in the roads.  We even had had our power all through the storm- a rarity for our tree-filled property.

Before:



After:


No comments: