Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Cold and Wet

It's May, and typical for Halifax, we are in the middle of a stretch of cold, wet weather.  I checked the long range forecast today, and it doesn't look like there is any sun in the near future.  Sigh! Working in the garden while wearing a winter coat- in May- is not fun~! Nevertheless, things are progressing in my kitchen garden. 

This year I pre-sprouted some of my peas before planting to see if I can get a head start on a harvest.  So far, the pre-sprouted peas that were planted 2 weeks ago are doing great, while the in-ground planted peas are just starting to poke through:

I also planted a long row of Evergreen Bunching Onions.  The close spacing did well for me last year.  I was able to harvest throughout the whole summer by using the thinnings.

Under a floating row cover, I have Sucrine and Brown Golding Romaine Lettuce, cilantro, soup celery, and parsley:

I planted some of the 'wintersown' lettuce and so far so good:

The spinach I transplanted, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be growing at all.  The direct seeded spinach that was planted about two weeks ago,  is starting to sprout now. I'm hoping it will do better as I really LOVE spinach.

The garlic continues to grow:

Rain, rain go away!

No comments: