Sunday, June 26, 2011

Early "Summer" Update

The garden is growing along nicely despite the mixed bag of weather we have been having lately.  I spent Friday and Saturday shivering on a soccer field for a weekend tournament, wearing my winter coat, hat and mitts, and covered with a blanket.  I tried not to think about it being the end of June!  Today was a complete turnaround and I was back on the field in shorts and sandals.  It has been one extreme to another.  Go figure! 

Here are a few shots taken in the garden this evening. I can't believe how fast things are growing.  The potatoes have taken off and are already showing signs of flowering. Pictured below are the grow bag potatoes.

The potatoes I have 'tucked away' by the composter have gone from looking like this on May 16:


To this:

I should be harvesting peas soon, as the pea plants are loaded with blossoms:


Doe Hill Pepper:

Costata Romanesca Zucchini:

Sweet Dumpling Squash:

Orchard Baby Corn:

Bright Lights Swiss Chard and Evergreen Bunching Onions:

Somehow, I have managed to find space for 17 tomato plants in the garden, including these two dwarf Adrina plants. They are loaded with blossoms and are supposed to produce cherry sized tomatoes.  They seem to be a perfect addition to a small garden as they take up very little space:


Rooftop Zucchini:

Rooftop Sungold Tomato:


This is the first year I have attempted to grow my own flowers from seed.  I was excited to see the cosmos starting to bloom.  The calendula and marigolds are looking like they will be next.  I really need a shot of colour in the garden right now, as it is looking very green at the moment.

View from the rooftop:





1 comment:

Gardeningbren said...

Your garden is leaping ahead...and certainly is further along than ours on the south shore.

So you are growing some dwarf tomatoes also...will stand by to see how yours do for you as they are new to us this year.