Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Adventures in Garlic Scapes

This is the first year I have attempted to grow garlic.  So far, it seems to be relatively easy.  I planted last fall, and until now, have basically been watching it grow with little maintenance required. I have been (impatiently) waiting for the scapes to appear. Last week, they were finally ready to cut.  

But what to do with them?  I have never cooked with garlic scapes before, so have done a bit of experimenting with different dishes.  I used them in place of garlic cloves in a pureed cauliflower and cheese soup (not bad), chopped some up and froze for later use, and made a not so successful garlic scape and ricotta cheese stuffed ravioli.  By far my favourite dish was the garlic scape and swiss chard pesto, recipe link to follow.  It was delish!  I froze the left overs in an ice cube tray for later use.
http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/garlic-scape-and-swiss-chard-pesto-recipe/1/
Now that my fun with garlic scapes is over, I have to start the waiting game again until garlic harvest time- I can't wait to see the results! 

1 comment:

Dale Calder said...

Your scape dishes sound great I steam them like beans or use them in a stir fry. I like your idea of freezing some for later use I have some in the fridge now that I think I will freeze or maybe I will dehydrate them I just got a dehydrator yesterday. I'm growing two varieties of hard neck garlic and I left one scape of each in the garden so I can replant the little bulbs to see how long it takes to get usable garlic from them.