Thursday, October 6, 2011

An Update

Haven't had a lot of time to post any updates lately. Work committments have kept me away from the blog and to some extent the garden as well.  Luckily, at this point, the garden has been taking care of itself.  I've been keeping up with the tomato harvest, making a batch of sauce every few days. There are still lots of green tomatoes out there, and I'm debating whether to pick them now that the cold is here and see if they'll ripen inside, or to leave them out there and see how it goes.  Except for the cucumbers, swiss chard and green onions, everything else from the 'summer' crops has been slowly dying off.  I managed to plant a small crop of fall/winter greens, but these have been damaged by slugs of late, so I'm not sure how much they'll produce.  Here are a few pictures I took a week or so ago:





1 comment:

Gardeningbren said...

The photos are great and it looks as if you have had a good year. Wondered what variety the lumpy red tomatoes are.

Re the tomatoes..as soon as I see any hint of pink on the outside, I am picking now. As for the gold tomatoes..any sign of white or loss of dark green. We too still have a lot of green tom's out there, and I am asking myself the same question. Darn it's cold today!!