Thursday, June 14, 2012

My Happy Place

"Gardening" like mad these last few weeks, I've been taking advantage of the nice weather we've been enjoying so far this season . I've been working really hard trying to tidy up the place and make it look less like a construction zone, and more like a relaxing garden where I can sit and enjoy a cup of coffee in the early morning, read a book or simply sit and enjoy the surroundings. While there's still a lot of work to do, I'm finally starting to feel like I'm 'getting there'.

Truth be told, this is probably my favourite time of year in the garden, when the beds are starting to look lush, but not over-grown.



The Garlic is adding a nice 'architectural' element to the space.  I have garlic growing in containers and pots, and also in the largest of the garden beds. 

The warm weather crops have been planted.  All the tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and Zucchini are in the ground.  Had very little success with my cuke and zucchini seedlings this year.  For whatever reason, I had a hard time getting anything to sprout.  The only transplants I managed to grow were 1 Mideast Prolific cuke plant, 1 Costata Romanesco Zucchini and 1 Trombonico Squash (that doesn't look like it's going to make it). As well, all of the seeds I planted in ground either didn't germinate or were eaten by slugs (with the exception of one lone zucchini still hanging in there). Halifax Seed to the rescue....got a bunch of cucumber transplants to boost my production.  Pictured below: Sungold Cherry Tomato in a pot
After the success of my onions grown in pots last year, I have increased the number of vegetables grown in containers this year.   Not counting the various basils and herbs, I have tomatoes, cucumbers, garlic, peppers, onions and now carrots.  So far the carrots are doing well!  I have had complete failure with carrots the last few years, but was diligent this year in watering daily while waiting for them to sprout.  I just thinned them out the other day, and they are starting to grow like crazy!
As usual, I have also continued to use "grow bags" for tomatoes, beans, potatoes, and peas:

Peas in the raised bed:



I can't believe I actually have strawberries growing this year!

This is the view from my kitchen window today:

Happy Gardening!

1 comment:

Gardeningbren said...

You have a fantastic crop there, so creative, so versatile. Your peas are way ahead of mine!