Saturday, June 23, 2012

Style Upgrade #1

I have been putting in a little bit of effort this year to improve the look of my garden.  I fully support the idea that a vegetable garden doesn't have to be just functional...it can be so attractive too!  I've been trying to 'upgrade', if you will, some of the "cheap" boxes and elements in the garden to make them a little more attractive to the eye, and less of an eyesore!

My main goal in this endeavor is to spend as little money as possible (as per usual).  For my first style upgrade, I tackled the ugly make-shift plywood box I threw together last year when I needed a quick container. I will probably get at the most another year or two out of it before it rots away.  But for the time being, I have changed them from looking like this:


To this:



Total cost? Zero!  I simply used all the twigs that I had compiled after this year's spring property clean up, cut them to length and hammered them on.  It gave the box a nice rustic appeal.  I must confess, the process was really time consuming, and I have only managed to cover one side so far (the side facing my window).  Since I can't see the other sides from my usual view, I may not even bother.

1 comment:

Gardeningbren said...

Fantastic job!! We make a little twig furniture ourselves, so know it is time consuming. Still, worth the effort. Look how lovely!!