Sunday, August 12, 2012

Cue the Angel Music

In the spirit of the Olympics and all the athletes who 'never give up'...I have peppers!  I have peppers!



I start pepper seeds every year with the hope that this will be the year I finally have success. And every year same result- total fail. Sure I'd get one or two fruit on a plant, but these were usually eaten by slugs or other pests and weren't even remotely edible. This year, I decided to throw in the towel and not even try.  But, after the window of opportunity passed for growing from seed, I kept thinking that I might have missed an opportunity to try again.  The feeling was nagging at me, so I picked up some pepper transplants from Sweet Valley Herbs. 

The one pictured above is a "Pompeii Pepper", which is described as being  an "ideal super sweet patio pepper plant, producing large peppers maturing from lime-green to orange-red".  I planted it in a container with a handful or two of worm castings.   Added a marigold at the end. 

I really  have been babying this plant.  I have been inspecting it every day for damage from pests.  I have been moving it from one spot in the morning to another spot in the afternoon to get maximum sunlight.  I put it to bed at night beside my exterior brick wall, in the hopes that the heat from the bricks will reflect back onto the plant. 

For the first time ever, I have at least 7 healthy peppers on the plant above with more to come.  I also have tons of little hot peppers on this baby:



Lesson learned!

No comments: